OK, you were right, dear readers! I not only survived the ProBlogger conference, I really enjoyed myself… there’s even some piccies further down to prove it!
Clearly, Mr ProBlogger guru, Darren Rowse, knew about my issues with the comfort zone, as he said in his opening speech: “Getting out of your comfort zone is where sparks fly” Yes, I think he was talking to ME!
Seriously though, it’s amazing how empowered and excited I felt after taking that initial leap (not just a step) outside my comfort zone and actually turning up to the conference alone – ready for sparks to fly! Yes, it was daunting and a little nerve-wracking introducing myself to lots of new people, but I quickly settled in and met dozens of friendly bloggers with a wide range of interesting and inspiring stories. I didn’t get to meet all 400+ bloggers in attendance, but I did my best! Curiously, the male attendees were seriously outnumbered, with women taking up around 95% of the room, but the men didn’t seem to mind.
Of course, the amazing presenters all had inspiring stories to share too. I learned a great deal and now just have to put it into practice! Here’s a snippet of the best take-home points I got from ProBlogger 2013:
- It’s important to do what you want with your life. It can be hard to work out your mission in the world, but just go with your gut and BEGIN something. It doesn’t have to be perfect to start. Enjoy the journey – Clare Bowditch
- Even wobbly courage is courage – Darren Rowse, ProBlogger guru
- Create a life that feels good on the inside, not one that just looks good on the outside
- To become a great hurdler, you have to jump a LOT of hurdles – Phoebe Montague, Lady Melbourne
- Spend at least 15 minutes each day working toward your goals – baby steps are better than no steps!
- Been criticised? Fight back with awesome – Trey Ratcliff, from Stuck in Customs
- Learn every day, but you MUST take action
- The secret to happiness is reflection and gratitude – Hailey Bartholomew, from the awe-inspiring 365Grateful and YouCantBeSerious
- When you experience fear, something big (maybe life changing) is about to happen – Darren Rowse, ProBlogger guru
I’ve posted a few photos for you, but please excuse the quality. My phone camera doesn’t do zoom at all well (will take the good camera next year!!) I met “Austin Powers” at the cocktail party held by the Hilton’s pool on Friday night – he was totally shagadelic! 😉
They kept us happy with lots of sweet treats.
The wonderfully talented Clare Bowditch inspired and entertained us. I’d like to share this line from the lyrics of her lovely song, Amazing Life –
“You don’t have to choose just one thing, but you have to start with something.”
… and actor Samuel Johnson rode in on the unicycle he is riding around Australia to raise funds and awareness of breast cancer (the money goes to the Garvan Institute). Samuel has undertaken this major feat in support of his sister, who has terminal breast cancer (and two small children). Incredibly sad, and such a wonderfully supportive brother. You can follow this link to find out more or donate to Love Your Sister.
So, just before I go and take some action on my long “To Do” list – Ï’d like to know what has inspired you lately … whether it’s a big thing or small thing. Please respond in the comments section below. I’d love to hear about from you.
Remember, if you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share the love with your friends! Keep smiling 🙂