Feel like you could be more productive?
Let’s face it, there are times when things really go our way and we just power through the day, ticking things off that to-do list like a champ. Then there’s other days where we just don’t seem to accomplish anything … but don’t worry, we all have them! If you feel like you’re not achieving much lately, the following tips may help you get back on track:
- Only take on what you really want to do. Sometimes, it is possible to say NO!
- Be clear on WHY you’re doing whatever you’re doing. If you tend to lose interest in tasks part way through or never get around to completing them, chances are you didn’t have a good reason or strong motivation to complete it.
- Verbalise your goals – tell someone what you’re doing and when you plan to do it by – or announce it on social media. You may be surprised how much support you’ll receive.
- Get a buddy and be accountable to each other.
- Do the hardest thing first, then everything else will feel easy.
- Try not to be overwhelmed – When faced with a big taks, simplify things by breaking a big task into smaller “baby steps” and celebrate the achievement of each stage.
- When you have a long to-do list, prioritise your tasks so that you’re doing what’s important first, then you won’t be panicking about running out of time, as the unimportant things can probably be done the next day.
- Set a timeframe for tasks, use a timer to alert you when time is up.
- Use a visual reminder such as a picture, poster or even a word to keep your task top of mind.
- Don’t interrupt yourself – we are often our own worst enemy when it comes to interruptions. Stay on task!
- Shut off the wifi – there are apps you can get to block you from going on social media at certain times if you can’t trust yourself.
- When you feel stale, get up and move, go outside for a brief walk, have a drink and breathe deeply, 3-5 long slow deep breaths in and out.
- If you feel stuck, ask for help or guidance from someone who is experienced in what you’re trying to achieve.
- Embrace imperfection – sometimes near enough has to be good enough – you can waste so much time fiddling with things unnecessarily – I should know, I’m an expert at it!
- Reward yourself – decide on something you’d really like to do and be sure to follow through once you’ve completed the task.
- Try focusing on doing one thing really well, rather than spreading yourself too thin and not doing anything well.
- Just start!
How productive are you? How do you accomplish things and get your tasks done? It could be at home or work. Do you have any productivity tips you’d like to share? Please leave a comment in the box below, don’t be shy 🙂
You might also enjoy reading: